2 deleted 11 characters in body
source | link

This occurs because Emacs uses different fonts for different parts of the Unicode character set. You can verify what font is being used by positioning the cursor over a character and pressing C-u C-x =. For instance, with my configuration over an EnglishASCII character I get nil:-apple-Consolas-medium-normal-normal-*-14-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1 (#x88), but over a ⧺ I get nil:-apple-Symbola-medium-normal-normal-*-14-*-*-*-p-0-iso10646-1 (#xCE1) (in other words, it's using Consolas for asciiASCII and Symbola for some special characters). Different fonts have different heights, and Emacs will always give enough space in the line height to display the tallest font. By default, Emacs will try to use system-dependent fonts that work, but this often leads to ugly results.

The solution I've found to the line height problem is unfortunately rather annoying: I go through the problematic characters I find and use set-fontset-font to set them to a font/size that doesn't affect the line height. The code to do this is available in my configuration, but it's incredibly ugly and still not perfect. If anyone has a better solution I'd be interested in hearing it.

This occurs because Emacs uses different fonts for different parts of the Unicode character set. You can verify what font is being used by positioning the cursor over a character and pressing C-u C-x =. For instance, with my configuration over an English character I get nil:-apple-Consolas-medium-normal-normal-*-14-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1 (#x88), but over a ⧺ I get nil:-apple-Symbola-medium-normal-normal-*-14-*-*-*-p-0-iso10646-1 (#xCE1) (in other words, it's using Consolas for ascii and Symbola for some special characters). Different fonts have different heights, and Emacs will always give enough space in the line height to display the tallest font. By default, Emacs will try to use system-dependent fonts that work, but this often leads to ugly results.

The solution I've found to the line height problem is unfortunately rather annoying: I go through the problematic characters I find and use set-fontset-font to set them to a font/size that doesn't affect the line height. The code to do this is available in my configuration, but it's incredibly ugly and still not perfect. If anyone has a better solution I'd be interested in hearing it.

This occurs because Emacs uses different fonts for different parts of the Unicode character set. You can verify what font is being used by positioning the cursor over a character and pressing C-u C-x =. For instance, with my configuration over an ASCII character I get nil:-apple-Consolas-medium-normal-normal-*-14-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1 (#x88), but over a ⧺ I get nil:-apple-Symbola-medium-normal-normal-*-14-*-*-*-p-0-iso10646-1 (#xCE1) (in other words, it's using Consolas for ASCII and Symbola for some special characters). Different fonts have different heights, and Emacs will always give enough space in the line height to display the tallest font. By default, Emacs will try to use system-dependent fonts that work, but this often leads to ugly results.

The solution I've found to the line height problem is unfortunately rather annoying: I go through the problematic characters I find and use set-fontset-font to set them to a font/size that doesn't affect the line height. The code to do this is available in my configuration, but it's ugly and still not perfect. If anyone has a better solution I'd be interested in hearing it.

1
source | link

This occurs because Emacs uses different fonts for different parts of the Unicode character set. You can verify what font is being used by positioning the cursor over a character and pressing C-u C-x =. For instance, with my configuration over an English character I get nil:-apple-Consolas-medium-normal-normal-*-14-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1 (#x88), but over a ⧺ I get nil:-apple-Symbola-medium-normal-normal-*-14-*-*-*-p-0-iso10646-1 (#xCE1) (in other words, it's using Consolas for ascii and Symbola for some special characters). Different fonts have different heights, and Emacs will always give enough space in the line height to display the tallest font. By default, Emacs will try to use system-dependent fonts that work, but this often leads to ugly results.

The solution I've found to the line height problem is unfortunately rather annoying: I go through the problematic characters I find and use set-fontset-font to set them to a font/size that doesn't affect the line height. The code to do this is available in my configuration, but it's incredibly ugly and still not perfect. If anyone has a better solution I'd be interested in hearing it.