EMMS seems to be completely unaware of any tag / metadata in my music files. I tried configuring it with mp3info (I no longer want this anyway), and now with libtag, checking that they work in command line, and I have deleted and recreated the cache at "~/.emacs.d/emms/cache" to no avail. The emms-browser categorises everything as misc and seems to know nothing more than the file names.
I'll detail my configuration.
My init.el has
;;emms configuration (require 'emms) (require 'emms-setup) (emms-all) (emms-default-players) (setq emms-source-file-default-directory "/Volumes/Seabeam HD/Music/") (require 'emms-info-libtag) (setq emms-info-functions '(emms-info-libtag)) (autoload 'emms-smart-browse "emms-browser.el" "Browse with EMMS" t) (global-set-key [(f7)] 'emms-smart-browse)
and I installed emms from elpa. I also cloned the emms git repo and did
and put the binary in my path and tested it (I also did
sudo make install from here, and hopefully did not mess things up now that I'm running off the elpa version). It prints id3 tags and other metadata as expected. In installed
mp3info from macports and tested that too. Reads id3v1 tags, as expected.
Now, I'm using GUI Emacs.app, so I have
exec-path-from-shell to ensure that emacs finds commands it needs.
EMMS makes a directory, "~/.emacs.d/emms/" where it stores history, cache, etc. I deleted this after setting things up for libtag and have also restarted emacs.