There are (in my mind) two types of word wrapping:

  • Hard : Actually edit the file to have lines of a maximum length
  • Soft : Just wrap in the editor, but the underlying file still has long lines.

I can't figure out how to make Emacs do these two different types of word wrapping (most people just talk about "word wrap", without distinguishing which they are talking about).

  • 3
    Emacs uses the term "fill" for hard wrapping.
    – npostavs
    Sep 23, 2016 at 12:14
  • 3
    C-h r to visit the Emacs manual. Then i wrap TAB RET. That completes wrap to wrapping and then visits the part of the manual (node Continuation Lines) that talks about this. In that node you also find a link to node Visual Line Mode, which talks about your "soft" wrapping.
    – Drew
    Sep 23, 2016 at 16:20

1 Answer 1


Emacs uses visual-line-mode for the soft-wrap and auto-fill-mode (and/or refill-mode) for the hard-wrap. See What is the difference between refill-mode and auto-fill-mode? for the difference between the two.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.