What is the keybinding for toggling between editing the shell contents as buffer on one hand and running commands in it on the other? I have configured multi-term to run bash and the shell is switching to buffer editing mode via some keystrokes I am not sure off.

So far the Esc key appears to enter normal Emacs editing mode and Ctrl-z exits it, ie when in the shell? Are they the standard keys?

I am using Spacemacs in evil-mode.

1 Answer 1


(n.b. I assume you're talking about a term buffer, and not about shell-mode).

I don't know about evil but the standard bindings are:

  • C-cC-j to change to term-line-mode
  • C-cC-k to change to term-char-mode

In char mode most keys send their input to the terminal process.

In line mode you can edit the buffer as text.

See also C-hig (emacs)Term Mode RET

  • See also a tip for unifying the two commands under a single toggle, which I have found useful: joelmccracken.github.io/entries/…
    – Basil
    May 9, 2017 at 14:07
  • I have done some reading and I think the keys you are describing may be overriden by Spacemacs. I will test Emacs to see if they are appropriate it. I have to learn Emacs anyway.
    – vfclists
    Jun 13, 2017 at 16:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.