Using Emacs on Windows, I experiences issues due to background invocations of
git.exe. The same issues might apply on Linux, though the more light-weight process calling might make them unnoticable.
- Occassionally, Windows will report that "Git has crashed", regardless of active Desktop window.
- In the Task Manager, one to two
git.exeprocesses appear every few seconds and vanish again.
- In Emacs, random micro-stutters occur.
- Using “Process Explorer” (procexp.exe), it can be found that the
git.exeprocesses are subprocesses of Emacs.
- They occur whenever a file inside a git-versioned directory is opened. More such directories → more stuttering.
M-x trace-function RET call-process RETwith four files opened across two git repositories shows upwards of 30 git invocations per cycle. A high number of synchronous calls definitely explains stuttering.