How to indent all "end of line comments" at column 60?
actually has two parts.
- How to indent at column 60.
- How to indent all end of line comments
1. How to indent at column 60
comment-choose-indent is used for the calculation of the indentation.
Its doc-string says:
Choose the indentation to use for a right-hand-side comment.
The criteria are (in this order):
- try to keep the comment’s text within ‘comment-fill-column’.
- try to align with surrounding comments.
- prefer INDENT (or ‘comment-column’ if nil).
Point is expected to be at the start of the comment.
You are hitting the first item. The comment is most probably overflowing
fill-column, the default for
fill-column sufficiently such that no comment hits that limit.
2. How to indent all end of line comments
You can make
indent-for-comment aware of an active region and apply that command to each line in the region with the following advice.
(defun apply-cmd-to-region-lines (cmd &rest args)
"Apply CMD with ARGS to region lines if region is active.
Just call (apply CMD ARGS) otherwise."
(cl-letf (((symbol-function 'execute-kbd-macro)
`(lambda (&rest _ignore)
(apply-macro-to-region-lines (region-beginning) (region-end) 'ignore))
(apply cmd args)))
(advice-add 'comment-indent :around #'apply-cmd-to-region-lines)