There are buffers that prevent you from being able to execute interactive commands (by overriding the default M-x binding). For example, *ansi-term* buffer would do this.

(I know you can do C-cM-x to invoke the command).

Is there an existing way to rename a buffer that isn't the current buffer? (It's easy to write a function for it, but it seems like it should've been already written...)

  • As far as I know, there is no predefined command to rename a buffer other than the current one (e.g. read a buffer name). It's easy to define such a command, though. – Drew Oct 22 at 17:47
  • @Drew Well, I guess, I'll have to accept that I have to write such a function. – wvxvw Oct 25 at 14:45
  • You might want to wait a bit, to see if someone else provides info about this. I may be mistaken. – Drew Oct 25 at 17:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.