I'm scratching my head on this problem, but I cannot seem to use magit on a project served over plink or plinkx on Windows.
What does work:
- The windows client can use magit on a project stored locally (e.g. from
- The windows client can connect fine to the remote project (
diredworks, as does
- A WSL2 Emacs instance works fine from the same laptop, only using ssh instead of plink
What happens when I try using plink(x):
- In a file in a git repository, I run magit-status
- Instead of the normal buffer, I'm asked for the "Git repository:" in the mini-buffer. The value defaults to the current directory.
- Whatever I try as a value for "Git repository", I'm presented with "Create repository in $FOO? (y or n)
- If I select y I'm told "Not inside git repository"
Does anyone have any idea what's going on? I'm running
GNU Emacs 27.1 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32) of 2020-08-21 according to
It's not a deal-breaker to me as I'm using WSL2 and an X-Server, but I'm curious and hopefully this will help my understanding of both TRAMP and magit, so any tips appreciated.