I have an app where I call emacsclient to do some editing on an org file. When it calls it, the frame flashes for an instant, then closes immediately. On stderr, I get the following message:

*ERROR*: Beginning of buffer

Apparently, something is trying to move the cursor up when it is at the beginning of the buffer, signals an error, then closes the frame. I am trying to figure out what is doing this. My first thought was that it was the "find-file-hook" or the "org-mode-hook" but even after setting these nil, I get the same behaviour. Setting 'debug-on-error' does not produce a stack trace.

Any suggestions for how to diagnose this?

Additional Information

I tried getting the debugger to come up by evaluating the following elisp inside the host emacs:

;; Setup diagnosis of errors from emacsclient
(defun ded:bugon ()
  ;; Remove the normal value of beginning-of-buffer from list
  (setq debug-ignored-errors
        '(beginning-of-line end-of-line end-of-buffer
                            end-of-file buffer-read-only
                            file-supersession mark-inactive
  (setq debug-on-error t))

No success: the debugger does not get triggered. Also, per @NickD, I ran the command from the shell and got the same problem, except that once in every 20-30 attempts, it works. Really puzzled.

Per @NickD, here is the command being called:

$ emacsclient -a='' -c /home/ded/byr/tmp/registertransacts20220125-185348-smeoi7.org
Waiting for Emacs...

*ERROR*: Beginning of buffer

Of course, the temporary file name changes, but it always follows that pattern.

  • Can you reproduce the problem doing the emacsclient <whatever> by hand at a shell?
    – NickD
    Jan 24, 2022 at 16:33
  • Yes. It happens when I execute the same command from the shell. Jan 25, 2022 at 8:10
  • Weird. What does the command look like? Can you show an example?
    – NickD
    Jan 26, 2022 at 5:33
  • 1
    @NickD, I added the command being called to the question. So much easier than formatting a comment. Also, I should clarify, the intermittent working happens from both the command line and when called from the program. Jan 26, 2022 at 9:27
  • 1
    @NickD, all files report no problems with org-lint. They are all org-tables with a #+NAME: property at the top. When I set the hooks you nentioned to nil, it still happened, as well as with any other hooks I couls think of. You may be right, I may just have to try to bisect my init to see what's going on. Thanks for looking at this. Jan 27, 2022 at 22:09


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.