One of the keys Emacs refers to is the key LFD. For example, calc binds that key to calc-over. What key is this?


LFD refers to "linefeed". This key is similar to return -- in ways not worth discussing here -- but can be input with C-j.

  • 1
    C-j is the newline character, aka linefeed, abbreviated nowadays as LF, not LFD. See that wikipedia page for the relation between carriage return and linefeed (newline).
    – Drew
    Jan 11 '15 at 23:39

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.