I would like a user to input a number using the minibuffer. What function should I call and how should it be used?

  • 1
    You should try this: C-h f read- TAB...
    – shynur
    Jun 28, 2023 at 1:03

1 Answer 1


What function should I call


how should it be used

You can call it directly, e.g., (read-number "").

But if you are writing a function, I recommend you put (interactive "n") (or similar form) in your function body.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.