To help you track it next time
This happened to me before. There was a situation where
string-to-int crashed Emacs, and it took me hours to pinpoint as
Sorry I can't provide a nicer answer, but Emacs crashes happen
deep down in the C code, and there aren't any built-in tools available
to track down such problems.
I suppose debugging it with gdb is ...
The problems turned out to be caused by the customization variable auto-revert-check-vc-info.
If this setting is active, the version control software – git in my case – will be invoked every auto-revert-interval seconds (default 5) for each repository, causing the described behavior.
The only solutions I found were to increase the interval (...
Here is a work-around that has worked for me:
;; server-start workaround
(defun ss-work-around/server-auth-file-name ()
(format "%s/%s" server-auth-dir "server"))
(defun ss-work-around/server-port ()
(let ((server-auth-filename (ss-work-around/server-auth-file-name)))
(when (file-exists-p server-auth-filename)
I had a similar problem: in the segfault message, I had a line mentioning the file /usr/lib/libpthread.so.0.
I found that the problem was related to the use of the Linum package. I had
in my init file. The segfault disappeared after commenting this line (or deactivating linum-mode).
For hard crashes (segfaults, aborts), you'll need to use gdb, see etc/DEBUG.
I run Arch Linux with Emacs 25.1.1
It's probably Emacs bug#24821/24358, see https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=24821#8
Does it help to apply the following patches?
I guess since youre saving the result of buffer-list, buffs never evaluates to a falsy value.
You should update the buffs variable by seting it to the return vaulue of your delq.
(setq buffs (delq (car buffs) buffs))
I was getting similar backtraces when trying to open any buffer with inline images.
Following wasamasa's comment I ran emacs under GDB. While I am not able to fix the bug right now, I found it is related to libpng12 and my openCL runtime (intel). Removing libpng12 solved the issue for me.
Sounds like you might be bumping into Emacs bug #21428: 24.5; Crash of emacs on OS X, installed via homebrew cask.
It's still being investigated. If you follow the bug thread perhaps you can contribute to helping understand it.