I have an open buffer with major mode ansi-term, and with scrollback. This buffer has crashed.

I'd like to "recycle" the buffer into a new ansi-term such that scrollback is kept. How can I do this?

1 Answer 1


I exited from an bash shell in ansi-term, and this worked for me to resurrect my terminal:

M-: (make-term "ansi-term" "/bin/bash") RET

(Credits to wgreenhouse on freenode #emacs irc, though he used zsh.)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.